Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Its All Greek to Me

Did you ever think of writing your will? I mean, you don't have to be old or sickly to do that, right? I mean, maybe I don't want an open casket (creepy!). Or if I do, maybe I want to pick what I am going to wear, so they don't Shaivo me up in some country bumpkin flowery dress with lacy bib front. Also, don't you want to specify what its going to say on your grave? 'She died saving puppies from a burning building' ? or what I really want: "Well, this sucks"

Don't you want to pick out what music they play? I don't want some churchy organ b.s., I want like, "Rasta Man Chant" or something.

I say fly away home to zion, fly away home
I say fly away to zion, fly away home
One bright morning when my work is over
Man will fly away home
Maybe something else, I haven't thought about it really, but maybe I should, i mean, you could die any day of a brain aneurysm or by having your brains leak out of your head after a wreck with a dump truck, your left arm severed but still in your sleeve, no blood pumping out because your heart has stopped beating.

Well, while you are still alive, I strongly recommend you go to Samos in Greektown, Baltimore. The last time I had Greek food was when I worked at Columbia Mall at 'Its All Greek to Me'. They hired me with the understanding that the only thing I wouldn't do is shave the leg of lamb, yet a few months later they let me go because I wouldn't shave the leg of lamb, bastards. I was 14 and didn't even have a worker's permit yet, so was getting paid under the table in cash (and totally ripped off) by the owner, a woman in her 40's who would steal my 'High Times' magazine in order to get tips for growing pot in her closet. Meanwhile the older guys in their 20's working at O.C. Fries (ew, Chris. ahh, Gunner!) would try their best to get you in bed, we would give the hippies (like Walker, who carried his own tin mug from his belt loop), free coffee in exchange for free smoothies, or burritos, or a few hits in the store room. What I usually ate there was broccoli and cheese soup. That's not very Greek...

Anyway, I totally dug everything I had last night: Greek salad with feta and kalamata olives, pita triangles seasoned deliciously, DOLMADES (vine leaves stuffed with seasoned rice and then rolled. Simple in appearance, this dish requires numerous cooking operations in order to achieve the hint of lemon flavor that tantalizes the taste and opens the appetite. Sometimes served hot with an avgolemono sauce on top. Its origin is thought to be from Thebes about the time of Alexander the Great.) with TZATZIKI(A yogurt, cucumber and garlic dip to be served chilled on its own or with pita.) SPANAKOPITA (Baked spinach and feta cheese puffs in buttered phyllo pastry, with egg, onion, butter, olive oil, bread crumbs.) Everything was excellent, and the kicker is, the average price for a menu item was like, $6.00 or something. INSANE!

7 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger michele omiccioli said...

Is there a town called 'greektown'?

Amazing.

Michele Omiccioli.

PS: visit my artblog if u want (this is no ad!)http://thecolorsofresistance.blogspot.com/

PPS: I don't understand everything you write just because Im italian and I write the english I learned at school ^-^

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Noam said...

You know, now, that if you don't say otherwise in a will, when you die we will follow the instructions in this blog to the letter...

Greek food inspires in me no desire to eat at all. I never eat the stuff.

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You 2 have never been to Samos. Until you do you, there is a good chance you will never be inspired by Greek food. I know that I never went out of my way to get Greek before I ate there.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger monica said...

Hey! thats my line! "don't Shaivo me up in some country bumpkin flowery dress with lacy bib front." :-p hehe you got my back, i'll get yours! no flowery pjs! yeech!

oh, and for the record, i want a New Orleans type funeral gig - the jazz band, walkin to the cemetary, singin and celebratin my "homegoin" kinda thing. and lots of chocolate for everyone!

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger monica said...

i hate you both for going to Samos without me! wahhhhhh! One day i want to swim naked in their dressing. hahaha ok that sounds gross, but its SOOOO good!

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Noam said...

Do you guys mean Schiavo?

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger Spider Girl said...

Er, that was some great dump truck wreck imagery.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home