Friday, December 01, 2006

I wish people were better

Including me.

This week someone told me a story about going to visit a couple she had met. She had a strong attraction to the husband when they first met, and after that had began a flirty relationship over email and IM. Soon after, she was going to be in their town for the holidays, and they invited her over to visit. Upon visiting them, the husband and this person found the attraction between them to be irresistible. He snuck away from his wife with a lie about going Christmas shopping, and they had a couple of tumbles together. Now, although both feel somewhat guilty and know what they did was wrong, would both be willing to do it again. Because its exciting, and taboo. Why are people like that, and can you ever trust anyone?

This story, a common one I'm sure, really caused me to feel down. Temporarily seriously lay-in-bed depressed. Why can't people be better? When I told my mother why I was feeling down, she said, 'all you have to do is look at the news to see how crappy people are. Every day they talk about genocide in Sudan, and everyone just says, 'that sucks' and turns the channel."

And I'm one of them.

And now for something completely different!
Quote of the day, overheard my mother talking to my brother:
"I'm not going to give you a guilt trip about going to Norfolk during the holidays.
...Everyone else goes home for the holidays, you go to Norfolk. I guess I can see what your priorities are."

haha- you see, its funny, because immediately after saying she wasn't going to give him a guilt trip, she plows right into him with the biggest guilt trip ever! I guess if you have to explain it, its not that funny. Oh well.

In case this has depressed you, read this somewhat uplifting story

6 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Blogger monica said...

haha ur mom is hilarious!

Noam - dont be a nerd and go to norfolk! come up and party. the hannukah party your mom throws is the best party of the year! :-p

 
At 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my mother said that, I laughed too.

As for Darfur, why the hey don't you do something about it?! There so much that needs to be done in the world, what's stopping you?

Personally, I am sympathetic to the idea that cheating on your spouse should be illegal. Really, why isn't it? If you break a financial contract, you're punished, surely a marriage vow must count for something.

So, did you rat the bastard out? Or at least threaten to, to scare him a bit?xs

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, your Darfur link is out of date. Some 400,000 have died.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger monica said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger monica said...

Actually, i agree with Noam on the contract thing. I mean it just seems like there isn't strong enough penalties for people cheating. It's left up to the people to deal with as a "personal problem". We used to (and many times still do) deal with violence in the home as a "private matter" - something to keep quiet and for people to deal with silently and by themselves. Same thing it seems too often with infidelity... often people know that a man or woman is cheating on their spouse or partner and they do nothing about it. No one tells the woman or the man what's going on... its left as a "personal matter" for them to deal with when the betrayal is finally unearthed.

I'm not saying that you should run out and get in someone else's mess, but it really frustrates the hell outta me that so many people choose to cheat and then so many of us (myself included)stand by and watch it happen, not knowing what to do, telling ourselves its not our business, theres nothing we can do, they will find out one day. i only pray that if that sh*t happens to me (again) and someone i know knows about it, that they would face their fears about getting involved and let me know! :(

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Mom has the "visit" guilt trip down to a science. When i called her to tell her that i was going to have to cut my next visit with her short. She screamed "It doesn't sound like you want to visit your Mother at all!" Then she hung up and I had to call 3 times to get her back on the phone to apologize. She had my 8 yr old little brother answer the phone all 3 times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home