Tuesday, June 28, 2005

end of the world? BRING IT!

Last night Victor and I went to see a sneak preview, along with local press, of War of the Worlds, at the Senator Theatre in Baltimore. In a word, it was AWESOME. I don't want to say anything about it except GO SEE IT IMMEDIATELY (well, when it becomes available for general viewing, suckahs!) It was so great and not just because I am a sucker for end-of-the-world disaster movies (although I am). I recommend seeing it at the Senator- incredible sound system, politely quiet audience, huge screen, old-style cinema ambiance...the lack of stadium seating was really not a problem. They frisked us with metal detectors and took our cellphones- not for weapons and mid-movie phone ringing, I found out, but to prevent piracy (via cellphone video? come on !). The movie was incredible, I have no complaints at all. I saw Batman Begins on Saturday, a really good movie, but this one blows it out of the water (in my humble but always-right opinion!) It was all that I had hoped for, and more. I was on the edge of my seat the entire length of the film.


SO FREAKING GOOD

Today I am wearing my Buddha necklace to remind me that material
wealth does not make one happy.


When Lord Buddha spoke about suffering, he wasn't referring simply to superficial problems like illness and injury, but to the fact that the dissatisfied nature of the mind itself is suffering. No matter how much
of something you get, it never satisfies your desire for better or more.This unceasing desire is suffering; its nature is emotional frustration.

~Lama Yeshe

8 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger Mohammad said...

I'm converting to Scientology ASAP!

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger monica said...

little does he know that her blog is HIGHLY ILLEGAL :-p hahaha

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

" Very creative its blog and posts, less that propaganda that you say to hate chestnuts of Brazil." - I apologize if I offended Brazil and its nuts.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Noam said...

I hate when people say movies are super-good. Then my expectations are too high, and I'm guaranteed to dislike them. Damn you, woman, damn you!

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger Evil Genius said...

Ok, I'll add these caveats to my movie review so you don't have overly high expectations:

1.Its still TOM CRUISE as the star.
2.Its really just a hollywood blockbuster action/aliens attack flick with minimal character development and emphasis on action
3.I am partial to end-of-the-world movies! I was so excited about 'The Day After' or whatever that movie was called,(the one about the bad weather) and it was completely formulaic!
4.There actually were weaknesses in the film, I just didn't care about them because it was exciting and the special effects were flawless
5.It now has a lower rating (71%)on Rotten Tomatoes then Batman Begins(84%)

OK??

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Evil Genius said...

I meant "The Day After Tomorrow", which I guess was more of a global warming type of sensationalist movie then a 'nookyoolur' disaster flick

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

I saw War of the Worlds yesterday. Tom Cruise plays a really good asshole role. The CGI effects were cool but the movie itself wasn't that great. There wasn't any character development or back story. I kinda just wanted to get up and leave the theater because of Dakota Fanning. She annoys the hell out of me. Her character wasn't good and her monotone delivery is very abrasive. I thought she was terrible in this movie.
Spider Grl - I really think you fell and bumped yer head because Batman Begins is the best action movie of not only the summer, but the past couple of years as well.

Ratings:
5 stars - cream of the crop
4 stars - great, excellent, but still room
for improvement
3 stars - good movie, nothing special
2 stars - "Hi, can I speak to you manager
I'd like a refund please."
1 star - I would rather __________________
a. watch a broken TV
b. be at work
c. eat crap
d. be in D.C. traffic

Star Wars Episode III - 4 stars
Batman Begins - 4.5 stars
War of the Worlds - 2.5 stars
Crash - havn't seen it
Charlie and
The Chocolate Factory - havn't seen it

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

I know it got poor reviews but "Hostage" is a really good movie. Hight recommend it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home