Monday, June 27, 2005

think I'm gettting an ulcer...


Glass half full: My car is
better then a wheelbarrow
The stress is really getting to me, I may be getting an ulcer. Ok so maybe I am a bit of a hypocondriac but... Something is wrong with my new car and every time I think about it, which is every time I drive in it and every time i wake up in the morning, my head starts pounding and my stomach starts churning. I'm so tired of being poor, I don't want to worry about money and I want someone to help me take care of stuff. I don't want to have to be a wage slave, I don't want to worry about how I'm not putting enough money away for retirement and will have to be serving fries when I am 70, or how I'm going to pay for college, or being able to afford summer camps. I don't want to have all of the responsiblity on my head, its enormous. Wah, I hate being poor! I also stopped getting child support this month, and who knows how long thats going to last! Money money money, i hate it. They say the #1 thing that couples argue about is money. Its wicked, its evil, and I WANT MORE! I don't have to be rich, I just want to be comfortable. Is that so much to ask? I know I am a princess, and that
THINGS COULD BE
A LOT
WORSE.
(or better...)

Now read this creepy article.

5 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Blogger Noam said...

You are not poor! You are one of the richest people in the WORLD. When you want to eat, you can have other people cook it for you, and deliver it to you, whenever you want. You carry a device that lets you talk to anyone, anywhere, at any time. You have so many amazing luxuries. You only feel poor because you compare yourself to those even better off.

There will always be people better off and worse off than you. The key to happiness is being satisfied with what you have, whatever that is. There are lots of happy people in Nigeria far far poorer than you -- they just don’t realize it.

(As for bringing people back from clinical death, seems like another nail in the coffin of the idea of a soul. At what point does the soul leave the body? The experiments suggest that, as long as the hardware can be made to work, there’s nothing supernatural that’s gone.)

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Evil Genius said...

i think the problem here is that i put air conditioning and cellphone in the same category as food and shelter.

So, the answer is, move to Nigeria?

or, shut up and stop whining, and be happy about buying a broken car because its better then having flies in my eyes and eating gruel in a hut... thats not as easy as it sounds.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger monica said...

Extreme poverty means living on less than $1 a day, unimaginable to us as Americans. ONE in five people around the world survives on this amount, with few opportunities to earn more.
http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/

More than 38 million people around the world are infected by HIV/AIDS, 25 million in Africa alone
http://www.one.org/

Every year Sub-Saharan Africa, the poorest region of the world, spends $14.5 billion dollars repaying debts to the world's richest countries and international institutions such as the World Bank and International Monetary Fund.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger monica said...

Ommmmmmmmmmm...


When stressful situations come your way, take a deep breath and say, "I can handle this." It's hard to believe that such a simple change can make a difference, but it really can. Expressing confidence in yourself often gives you the power to turn a crisis into a confidence-building challenge.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Noam said...

There's nothing wrong with wanting more money, and I'm not saying you should be happy you're not in dire poverty. I'm just saying, whatever happens, it's good. Don't focus on what you lack. Your life in incredibly luxurious. Don't dismiss it because it could be even more luxurious, that's always true. I like your Buddha quote, I think it makes a similar point. I'm so happy with my life, although it lacks a great deal. It still has so very very much, more than I deserve.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home