Tuesday, December 26, 2006

stranger in a strange land

Being Jewish in Christian america is an interesting experience.
I think I spent my early years trying desperately to assimilate and blend in with my peers, embarrassed to death of my foreign-accented mother throwing a slew of high-decibled fast-flowing hebrew at me, longing to be like my best friend in elementary school with her soft spoken uber-american parents with their 'okey-dokeys' and phony fronts. While I've mostly grown out of the need to blend into invisibility and conform to those around me, and with hindsight would never want those people as my parents, sometimes I wonder what life is like for those in the majority. I don't think about it often, more so perhaps during the holidays. Still its an interesting life experience to always be different in some way from those around you. All of the 'merry christm....er, happy hannukah...' s and awkwardness that comes with that. Perhaps because I am one of the 'different' ones, I never feel any kind of strangeness about being around those of different backgrounds or religious affiliations, yet sometimes I feel the christians around me find my jewishness very foreign, as if I have cancer, or some sort of deformity or something. I wonder how it has shaped my personality. I wonder what its like to feel 'normal' and like everyone else. But really, does *anyone* feel 'normal' and like they totally fit in at all times? I wonder...

What really got me thinking about it was my son complaining about how some kids at school always manage to fit something in about him being Jewish, whether it makes sense or not. Its like, constantly having someone say, 'you're different. you're not like us.' Does this sort of thing build character, or is it just an additional arbitrary hurdle to add on to all of the difficulties of growing up and living this life?

But really, who wants to be just like everyone else? Boring!

awesome: radiohead live

5 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the other day i was at jacob's parents house and they suggested we move to israel just randomly, and i started thinking what it would be like to have everyone around me always be jewish too...it made me start thinking about the fact that America is a christian nation, but in fact the majority of people in the world are NOT christian. It also occured to me that no one probably gives a shit about christmas in israel, and if i moved there i would probably never have to hear a christmas song ever again. All of a sudden this was appealing, although i would never move to israel as i quite like my family in america, or at least am used to them, whereas my family in israel i'm not so sure i'd prefer to have to be around...

 
At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember always coming to Hanukkah parties at your house and always feeling at ease and never like it was 'odd' to be Jewish or to celebrate Jewish holidays, because I spent *so* much time at your house all the Jewish holidays seemed as normal as all the christian ones, and i think thats the key here...cuz ppl are only weird about what they're not familiar with. Also, i have a foreign mother too..so a small woman with a loud and heavily accented voice was never strange to me either ;p

Now i'm finding i'm the odd one out.. especially in seattle cuz if ppl are christian they certainly don't identify as catholic (not that i'm really a catholic..but its kinda like being a non-practicing Jew lol) and seem to view catholicism in the same 'ew its a cult' way we look at mormons.

~Moira

 
At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! one more thing, I TOTALLY understand the jealousy over a friend's blandly american parents..I often wished as a kid that my mom was more 'american' and more permissive like some of my friends american parents. hahah.. i had those exact same thoughts, even about my name which was foreign and no one could pronounce.... i wanted to be called 'Jenifer' for the longest time, BLEH!

~Moira

 
At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Mom was raised a Catholic and went to Catholic school then met my Dad who worshipped the church of the National Football League. After the divorce, she converted to Buddhism and now she is a born again Pentecostal Christian. Needless to say I feel comfortable at almost any religious ceremony. As long as I don't have to sit still too long.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Evil Genius said...

ariella:
i ran into an old h.s. friend once who told me that after h.s. his mother was fed up with his b.s. and sent him to israel for several months. he was suprised to find out how awesome it was to suddenly feel in the majority rather then the minority, even though he had never conciously noticed feeling different or like a minority before that, but it was there all along. However, I'm not sure I would feel like i fit in there either, being so americanized and not israeli.

moira:
exposure is definitely a key aspect to acceptance. i guess you do have a foreign mom, i never thought about that- and thank god your name isn't jennifer! or, thank mom... hehe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home