Friday, July 14, 2006

80-20

Last night I was having dinner with V at this awesome little restaurant in Columbia (recommended by Jolene, thanks!) called the Iron Bridge Wine Company - from the windows you look upon the rolling hills of Clark's Elliot Farm, the walls are lined with wine bottles, and the food is fantastic. I told him that I thought he might like the crispy plantain chips that came on top of his dish because I knew that he liked to eat a barbecue potato chip with every bite, for texture, when he gets a sub from subway. He looked at me with genuine suprise (and pleasure?) that I noticed and remembered something like that about him.

This morning I was thinking that when you are in a relationship, you are the other person's biggest fan - but simultaneously thier worst critic. I guess relationships start to go sour when the critic's voice becomes louder then the fan's. The moral is for both people to work hard and never get lazy in the relationship! I read once that if you feel like you are giving 50%, you aren't trying hard enough. You should always feel like you are giving 80%. If both parties do that, it does seem difficult to become resentful and fail! Of course there are other reasons why relationships fail, but anyway, I'm just being general. That photo is actually of our waiter! I liked the Pinot Noir. Also I set up a computer from scratch, including installing the operating system. yay me!

5 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Blogger Noam said...

No title?

Alright, out with it. What's the relationship problem you're agonizing over?

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Evil Genius said...

what do you mean? why do you think I am agonizing over something? Its weird having someone to be your biggest fan/critic simultaneously. Sometimes it makes you feel great, that you are so important to someone else and such a part of their lives that they note and remember all your wonderful quirks. other times it makes you feel naked. Or reflects your unexamined flaws to yourself in an uncomfortable way. Its just something I was thinking about. No real point, just observation.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger monica said...

don't act surprised, you are always pondering and/or agonizing over soemthing. its ur nature! :-p

 
At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah? well i quit smoking. still. so there.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Evil Genius said...

wow really? that is awesome news sissy, stay strong!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home