Wednesday, May 31, 2006

wow italy

my friends are vacationing here as we speak. That's right, drool and envy, drool and envy.

So yesterday I had dinner at my fave Indian restaurant w/ M and W. The food was amazing, I tried a new appetizer I've never tasted before with a sweet tamarind sauce and yogurt , chickpeas, crispy onions, I dunno what else. I loved it. I learned some words in Indian but I don't remember which dialect. The only one I recall is Tikeh, which means, OK or alright. Like, thumbs up. Our waiter Sanjay was funny and remembered me from when I used to always come there with Mo!

Here's the weird thing. Some people are so good at making connections/friends with new people- I am not one of them. I guess I'm too reserved. Other people seem to have a knack for it, Mo for one, Wissam definitely. Within 3 minutes, he and Sanjay were laughing and joking around like old friends. I'm always amazed. I am never that comfortable with someone that soon. I wish I could be though, its wonderful to watch. However, another way to look at it is this- if I am hanging out with you, you know its legit, whereas those short-lived instant friendships are phony. Anyway, Wissam seems like a cool cat, I dig him. MMMMMmm and go to House of India!

8 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I much prefer genuine affection. But, I'm lucky in that I get comfortable with people fairly quickly, too. I think that's what makes the world interesting, though. All different kinds of people. Gotta love 'em all!

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger monica said...

yay for liking W! yay for house of india! that place is so darn good! i am drooling just thinking of the smells and flavors. makes me wanna go back for some more right now!

PS - i agree with Tammy. u might not be one of those people that can befriend folks so fast, but thats ok. u are still the bestest friend ever (even if you do tell silly jokes about sticks haha) and you do things other people wish they could do (like tell silly jokes about sticks and make it out of their friends houses alive).

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Noam said...

It's possible to be instant friends and genuine. I've seen it happen aplenty. I share your jealousy, though. (The languages of India are not dialects of "Indian", though. You're thinking Chinese. There is little in common between Tamil and Punjabi.)

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I'm somewhat jaded but I share Spider girl's view. When a waiter is laughing at my jokes I think he's trying to schmooze in order to raise the tip percentage. I tend to focus my energy more on getting to know people if it's obvious they don't have an angle and if there is a good chance I'll be seeing them again on a regular basis.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger monica said...

i'm only wary of waiters when they recommend a glass of wine and it ends up being like 47 dollars a glass LOL

on the befriending thing tho, its not that its about being actual friends with that person or anything. thats a whole other thing altogether. i like the way lasheema looks at it... you never know what good may come, what you might learn, how you might affect someones life, or even how they might affect yours - even if its just a random person you never see again. its not about the person and the friendship, its about the experience. like how you felt when the waiter remembered you. it made you a little happy - like wow, he remembers me and Moh. thats wat its about. just a small thing, but it made an impact. a good impact. which we def need more of in this world with all the crazies runnin around, honkin and drivin like banshees rushin here and there.

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Driving like a banshee is fun.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Evil Genius said...

not really excited, because from now on it will be slightly awkward when i go there, say a little 'hi' to the guys who work there, not sure if I should say more or be more friendly, maybe a little bit of awkward conversation... see how i am? i'd rather be anonomous most of the time. i would like to be the other way, but, alas, you must play the genes you're dealt!

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger monica said...

well then i guess you can't go again unless its with someone like me, W, or Moh. but i def think it should be me. :-D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home