Monday, May 22, 2006

turning indian i think i'm turning indian i really think so

I just finished telling someone what I did today at lunch, then they asked what I did this weekend. Within the conversation, these things came up:

  • I went to an Indian festival downtown
  • I had (indian) lentil parathas and mango lasse for breakfast
  • I went to lunch at House of India, then went to the Indian food distributor grocery store to buy more Indian food.
Its just that, they are GENIUSES when it comes to vegetarian food.

Anyway the cool thing about the festival other then the FREE FEAST was the informational display about vegetarianism. Cody read some of the panels and was like, 'I'm soo glad we are vegetarians.' To which I responded, 'me too.' But then he said, 'no, really, I'm really really glad.' :)
Holy Cow!
(ok, worst joke ever)

yay, free propoganda! just kiddin, i mean aside from the (not gory) photos of sad abused farm animals crammed into horribly tiny spaces, it was really the hard facts and figures about how many hormones and medications are administered per animal (something in the thousands!) and how many toxins are found in their meat, as well as the heart attack and colon cancer figures for meat eaters vs. veg (for example: every 25 seconds in the US someone has a heart attack. Every 45 seconds, someone dies of a heart attack. Chances of heart attack in normal US male: 50%. Chance of heart attack in vegetarian US male: 4%) really it was dramatic information. Also the info about how many people are starving and dying of starvation in the world, and how many people can be fed if all of the land used for raising farm animals and non-food agriculture such as tobacco were instead used to grow vegetables and grains. You could feed the starving people like 10 times over.

Anyway that was the highlight of the festival for me. The reinforcement that I am doing the right thing for my body and my kids' health as well as the environment and doing my part to reduce needless suffering in the world. Hooray!
As for what I am giving up? Not a whole lot, mostly just the 'taste of meat' and the ability to conform. As for the 'taste of meat,' today at lunch one of the dishes had a soy 'meat' in it so realistic that V was fooled. Last week, V cooked a jamaican jerk imitation tuna steak that my brother brought from a specialty store in NY, and everyone loved it. As for conforming to society's idea of 'normal' ? HA HA HA

4 Comments:

At 11:55 PM, Blogger monica said...

so when can we get a case of that wackass Fakin Tuna! that stuff was soooo good (even if it did mess with my head at how much it tasted like fish)! more more more more!!!1

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger Noam said...

I basically never eat Indian food. Hm.

I'll buy veggiefarm tuna -- and chicken too -- for anyone who gives up killing animals. You know you can't resist :P

By the way, Prince won this year's sexiest vegetarian award. Ok, I'm a man and so am in no place to give a judgment, but do you think he's sexy? (Fyi, female award went to star of Veronica Mars.)

 
At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe Noam basically never eats Indian food. What!!??
He's Vegan. I eat about half the meat I did before I met Shirl and I feel more healthy. But I would never have made that transition if it wasn't for the Indian cuisine. I don't miss meat when I'm enjoying an exotic, complex hearty, curry. Indian food is, in the immortal words of Dane Cook, "nutritious and delicious!" OK so Dane was talking about pb&j, Ruffles and Crystal Light; details, details.

 
At 3:33 AM, Blogger Noam said...

Indian food's not bad. But it's never to die for. It kind of has the feel of poor people's food, which doesn't mean it's not good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home