Tuesday, April 25, 2006

lucky donkey

I was just looking up various travel destinations to give some ideas to V who is lucky enough to be slightly less of an office-slave then me and has lots of excess vacation time to blow through.
There are so many cool and exotic places to adventure to and just not enough time, money, or vacation days to visit them all!
Here's just a few random ones but I could keep going - this is just the tip of the iceburg of places I'd like to see.
Indonesia
Australia
Istanbul
Greece
Thailand
Bolivia
Tibet
Peru
Galapagos Islands
Venezuela
Italy
India
Bali
Africa!

Just reading that list brings colorful images of foreign cultures, dress, architecture, animals, languages, and foods that tempt me with their promise of adventure. It makes me long to escape the familiarity of the U.S. and my drab and ordinary routine here. Thinking of people I know who left everything familiar and safe to live and raise their children in places where everything is different and walking around town is an education in itself, I sometimes envy thier bravery and repetoir of stories so much richer then those I will probably ever be able to tell to a small gaggle of grandchildren gathered at my feet.

Ah well, in the meantime I will make myself feel slightly better by reading and re-reading this article about why travel sucks.

IN THE NEWS
A tiny victory for non-human animals who are no longer going to be considered on the same level as a pair of shoes or a couch, or a slave. And another reason why California is awesome!

A tiny but very important victory for net-addicts such as myself

7 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

I hear Tibet is pretty depressing to go to because the communist Chinese outlawed the Buddhist religion, forced most of them into exile, and destroyed most of the Buddhist Monestaries. Nepal is supposed to be the country that retains that cultural heritage. That's where the Dahli Lama resides.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger DarkTortoise said...

But you're a web designer and have (our should have) a laptop. Why can't you go and visit those places if you really want to? Maybe you should make a list of all the barriers holding you back from doing it and figure out ways to knock each of them down. For example:

Finding clients requires being there (get an agent)
Kids need to be in school ("home" school, plus travel is hugely educational)
Paying rent (small place for occasionally being home with low rent, plus mobile job)

I bet those are the biggest barriers and the rest will be easier.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Noam said...

"Thinking of people I know who left everything familiar and safe to live and raise their children in places where everything is different..." You're talking about your parents, right?

Only click here if you like llamas.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Evil Genius said...

No America doesn't count.

I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't.

I'm talking about V's grandparents who moved from rural Iowa to live in India for years and then I think maybe Korea or something later on.

darktortoise: its scary especially alone

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger DarkTortoise said...

Alone? What about that V guy?

And of course it's scary. I want to do it, too, and haven't. I don't fault you for that. It actually looks like you'd be in a better position to do it than I am at the moment. But maybe it's scary because so many pieces are unknown. Why not make the list of barriers and figure out how you'd knock them down, even if you don't follow through? You'd probably find out lots of interesting things about what's important to you.

And in a moment of synchronicity, I just noticed that "Roam" by the B-52s is playing in the random shuffle I have going from iTunes. :)

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

That Lama looks like Napoleon Dynamite

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Spider Girl said...

I read that travel article, and it made me laugh because it has a lot of truth in it.

But I keep travelling anyway...why did I have to pick such an expensive and addicting hobby! :)

I went to Africa last summer--I camped on the Serengeti in a tent...it was amazing. All the hassles and bugs and lack of toilet paper was worth it. Totally.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home