Tuesday, March 21, 2006

This and that

things floating around in my brain recently:

I heard there was a lot of controversy about the movie V is for Vendetta, because it likens the Republicans to Nazis and the hero is a terrorist.

My question is, what makes the difference between a terrorist and a revolutionary?
Isn't it simply what side you happen to be on?

Anyway the movie didn't give a black and white picture of V as a 'good guy.' It also intimated that there is a fine line between using 'necessary tactics' with calculated collateral damage to achieve a greater good, and becoming as bad or worse then the enemy you are fighting against in order to achieve that worthwhile end - does the end always justify the means? a lesson that should be carefully observed by our current government. Does the rest of the world, hearing on the news of our prisoner torture, wiretapping our own citizens, attacking a country that hadn't actively threatened us under false pretenses, etc, think we are the 'good guy' ?

Secondly, I've been reading this book called 'The Kitchen God's Wife' (I recommend it, by the way) by Amy Tan. Basically its about a woman's (horrible, depressing) life in China during WWII. The woman in the book is married off at a young age to an abusive man. If she wants a divorce, he has to agree to give her one, and if he does, she loses claim to their children. I feel that reading this book should make me feel better about my life, that I am lucky enough to grow up in this day and age, with women having so many more rights and options then in times past. Instead, it has just made me sad, for the plight of humans; around the world these things still go on. But also the loneliness of the human experience. One thing she says in the book is, there is no one who shares the same memories as she does, and even those who were sometimes at the same place and time remember things differently, certainly experienced things differently, and how, realizing this is a very lonely thought. And she's right. In a sense, we are all alone. Sometimes when I look at someone I can see this in them, the loneliness. In their eyes. We all have it, I think.

Today when things were crazy at work, I said to my boss, 'remember when you were only responsible for PR and not the whole marketing department? Things were so peaceful for you.'
He replied, 'I look at it this way. When I was single, things were peaceful for me. But, I'm so much happier and my life is so much more enriched by having Shelly (his wife) and the kids, I would never go back.'

I want to absorb his positive attitude, because I can't take the stress of this workload for very much longer! Side note: I should update my resume. ugh.

I hate to rub it in people's faces that I have a V and they don't, but after mentioning that I have been craving cabbage lately, he made me an awesome Cabbage Curry with carrots last night, based on his father's recipe (which he has raved about in the past). If you aren't a fan of cabbage, this dish will change your mind. When I ate the leftovers for lunch today with some garlic naan, everyone was enviously telling me how good it looked and smelled. The only thing missing was the samosa appetizer from last night with this killer sauce from Trader Joe's. So delicious (and nutritious!) He's such a fantastic cook, and obviously had a great teacher. I wish I could enjoy that meal all over again....

Long blogs are the worst- sorry- after repressing my blogging instinct for days due to my incredible work ethic (don't laugh) I regurgitated 3 days worth of missed blogging into one long projectile blogvomit. And not even any pictures!



Find out your 'real age' by doing this test:
http://www.realage.com/ralong/qa/HI.aspx?fix

2 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Blogger monica said...

my offer to help you with ur resume still stands! name the place and time and i'll bring my laptop!

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not lonely

 

Post a Comment

<< Home