Monday, March 20, 2006

bmi, rmr, calories, metabolic rates, aaack!


Well, stress level at work hasn't gone down in any considerable way, but nevertheless I will try to keep up with my blogging, even if the entries may be less verbose and articulate. I saw V is for Vendetta this weekend, pretty good but with disturbing parallels to our government and the state of affairs today, post-9/11 America with its Patriot Act, warrantless wire tapping, torturing prisoners, government manipulating its citizens through fear to win elections and take away civil liberties...

Well after 6 weeks of moderate exercise (average 30 min/day, 3 days/wk) with a cumilative weight loss of zero, I heard that counting calories was the way to go. Well I also am going to try to up my exercise to 45 min/day, 5 days/week, but we'll see how that goes!
What I have learned so far:

  1. counting calories is time consuming! I've been using the food search on this site: http://www.calorieking.com/
  2. So far today I have consumed something around 869 calories including breakfast, snacks, and lunch. I don't know if that's good or bad yet!
  3. I think that simply writing down what I eat every day will help me stop from eating, lets say, donuts someone brought and left in the lunchroom, pig out at a buffet, etc.
  4. My BMI is 21.9. Anything under 20 is considered underweight. So that's not too bad...
  5. Being hungry occasionally is an unavoidable part of losing weight. Here are tips to deal with those occasional hunger pangs: http://www.newstarget.com/003550.html

I'm pretty lazy and also busy, so I don't know how seriously I can persue this but, I'm going to try for a little while!

5 Comments:

At 4:15 PM, Blogger Noam said...

http://www.thecaloriecounter.com/
http://www.calorie-count.com/

Counting calories can be fun. You can use the numbers as motivations, and build a database from which to makes graphs of your progress. It's also useful, you can see what you need to do to keep the calories down. The hunger is worst at the beginning. But you just have to suffer through it.

 
At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha, i am on the new orleans diet. This involves waking up, having nothing to eat in the house, walking around all day trying to decide what to eat, not finding anything, finally settling for something around evening time that fills you up because you barely eat ever, then getting hungry around late evening and realizing that NOTHING is open in this crazy ghost town after like 10, walking around some more, and then finally giving up and going to bed. Rinse and repeat.

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one ever updates this blog. Pretty weak. ;)

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger monica said...

btw, that V mask creeps me out!

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Noam said...

By the way, I read a BMI in the range of 18-25 is normal weight, so you're not on the verge of anorexia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home