Friday, September 09, 2005

BEST DOG EVER



Miss you already, Luckster.

Wednesday V took his dog Lucky to the vet because he looked sick, and found out that he had cancer throughout his body, and the same day had to put him to sleep. I was shocked and upset by the suddenness of it all, but handling it, until I was on the way to V's house and started thinking about how glad I was that I had given him all of those extra treats. Something about that thought just made me lose it. Maybe its because I had to put my dog to sleep not that long ago and it reawoke the pain and awful feeling of betrayal I experienced when I had to make that decision, and hold and pet him while he looked up at me through pain-veiled eyes, sad and trusting, and not understanding what was happening, as they gave him a lethal injection. It was for the best, it was for his own good, but did he understand that? He was in pain and not eating or drinking anymore, had been suffering for a couple of weeks in a pretty extreme way. I'm glad Lucky didn't have to go through that, as tough of a decision as it must have been I think in the end the pain is lessened by the thought that you did the right, unselfish thing by thinking of the future pain of the dog over your own emotional pain at parting ways with a long-time friend. I don't know why we can't be that humane with our human family members. I'm tearing up just writing about this, and by the way, anyone who says, 'its just a dog, you can get another one' can go to hell.


Well, I do know that Lucky was so well loved and well taken care of and doted over that his 8 years of life had to be the happiest 8 years a dog could live. And that's something to smile about!

2 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Shirl,

That was written beautifully. It was great to have him while I did. I’ve been trying to focus on the good things such as the fact that I was able to provide a much better life than he would have had if I didn’t rescue him from a dying heroin addict who had HIV. And the fact that he brought a lot of joy to me, my friends and family while he was here. It's amazing how popular that dog was. I’ve had a ton of support from a huge # of people in the form of phone calls, e-mails, cards and from people just coming over to hang with me. Thanks to all of you.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger monica said...

OMG now im crying! ack! good grief!

i am sooooo glad that i got to hang for the weekend with Lucky a few weeks ago. He was such a cutie always ready to cuddle and hang out. and SOOOO excited when i showed up - jumping up and down and happy to go out for walks and watch the soccer players in patterson park. i especially loved hanging with him while i watched movies half the nite. such a darn good pooch. love ya lucky!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home