Monday, January 07, 2008

what is unusual about this poem - a contest

Doppelgänger

Entering the lonely house with my wife
I saw him for the first time
Peering furtively from behind a bush –
Blackness that moved,
A shape amid the shadows,
A momentary glimpse of gleaming eyes
Revealed in the ragged moon.
A closer look (he seemed to turn) might have
Put him to flight forever –I dared not
(For reasons that I failed to understand),
Though I knew I should act at once.

I puzzled over it, hiding alone,
Watching the woman as she neared the gate.
He came, and I saw him crouching
Night after night.
Night after night
He came, and I saw him crouching,
Watching the woman as she neared the gate.

I puzzled over it, hiding alone –Though I knew I should act at once,
For reasons that I failed to understand
I dared not
Put him to flight forever.

A closer look (he seemed to turn) might have
Revealed in the ragged moon
A momentary glimpse of gleaming eyes
A shape amid the shadows,
Blackness that moved.

Peering furtively from behind a bush,
I saw him, for the first time
Entering the lonely house with my wife.

5 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, Blogger Eric said...

The first letter of each line is palindromic.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Noam said...

The entire poem is a palindrome by line -- that is, after "Night after night", the lines all repeat again in backwards order.

 
At 3:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD I LOVE IT it all worked out so beautifuly!!! amaaaazing. I can't beleive i didn't figure it out though, i had to read noam's know-it-all-it's-so-obvious comment before it dawned on me. And that's CRAZY! BECASUE MY MIDDLE NAME IS PALINDROME! No really...My middle name was ALMOST A-man-a-plan-a-canal-panama, but my rents opted for for the more Americanized "Hannah" because the first one sounded too 'Ethnic'.

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My middle name is AblewasIere.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Noam said...

You never post. You suck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home