Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Suresh-Fly

So I saw the season premier of 'Heroes' last night, in a slight muscle-relaxer-induced stupor. I have this like, pinched nerve or something, in my back that is making me feel like old people and putting a serious dent in my exercise routine. Bleh.

Anyway, combined with the fact that I forgot a large chunk of the storyline (since its been like a year since I saw the last Heroes episode) and the fact that the story involves so many people, things happening in the past, future, and present, the future changing repeatedly, people coming back from the dead, personality changes, etc., I had trouble feeling invested in the story this time around. But the WORST part was the BLATANT and SHAMELESS ripping off from 'The Fly'. I mean, what happened to Mohinder was like, as close as you can get to a scene-for-scene copy of The Fly without violating some kind of copyright laws. The quiet nerdy scientist so enthused by his newly discovered yet untested scientific breakthrough that he has to try it on himself immediately. Then he is transformed into having super strength, walking around shirtless and buff and excitedly documenting his amazing feelings and newfound abilities, walking up walls and hanging up in the rafters- and then the transformation scene- this was almost the biggest part of the rip-off - identical to the scene where Jeff Goldblum stands in the dim light of his bathroom and peels puss-dripping parts of his body off that are coming loose. I mean, COME ON. You can pilfer a basic idea from another movie, it happens all the time, but to keep it so freaking close to the original that I actually felt like I was watching the Fly? So annoying!

LOOK FAMILIAR?

1 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger Noam said...

And did you notice how similar Sendhil Ramamurth and Jeff Goldblum's hair was?

Think of it not as copying, but as homage.

So much of the episode was stupid. Why does Hiro open the safe? If he can stop time, then he can totally freeze the speeding lady too. And if Peter is ok with going back in time to fix things, why not go back in time to save Claire from Sylar and so on -- or if he regrets going back in time, why not go back and stop himself from going back in time?

And so on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home