Tuesday, January 30, 2007

the end

in an odd as well as unsettling coincidence, a friend of mine's life is totally reflecting a recent blogposting of mine. Her husband of 7 years, after several months of fighting and stress (much of it money-related, I believe), threw his hands up and left. In subsequent conversations, he seems cold and uncaring, like he is totally through with her, emotionally. This is a perfect example of what I was talking about! Wouldn't you think that someone you have shared such intimacy with, had children with, slept in the same bed with for 7 years, would, even in the face of strife and trouble, still love you deep down? Couldn't they say, lovingly, "Look, I love you very much but this doesn't seem to be working" ? Or even better, "lets come up with some ideas of how we can fix this and be happy again?" Does it always have to end in ugliness? moreover, does it always have to end? I guess when you are all pissed off at someone and fighting for long enough, you forget about the good since you are overwhelmed with the bad, and walking away just looks so much better then working to fix it.

Well, I hope they work it out, if only because once you have brought kids into this world, your life isn't only about you and what makes you happy anymore, but also because single motherhood is a long difficult stressful path. but also because I want to pretend for a little while longer that you *can* count on someone through thick and thin, that relationships are not just 'love when things happen to be going fine' but, love always. The naive, dreamer part of me, who doesn't want to imagine forward in time to the (inevitable?) painful and cold demise of my currently wonderful relationship. From a sheer numbers perspective, the odds are against us, against everyone, aren't they?
*sigh*

5 Comments:

At 5:08 PM, Blogger Noam said...

Wait, am I in one of those movies where only I have the ability to see the gremlins?

I mean, couldn't this blog basically be about your relationship, which you walked away from? Did you leave with more feelings of love that he did? And so on about you and everything else in the blog?

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Evil Genius said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

stop worrying so much.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger monica said...

I agree with Ariella! Stop worrying so much! that negativity isn't going to help in any way whatsoever.


If you can do something about it, why worry? If you can't do something about it, why worry?
Old Indian Proverb

 
At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the saddest, most humbling picture I have ever seen. How does one explain to his or her child(ren) that because "things didn't work out" their little lives were torn apart? "Why don't you love mommy anymore?" "You don't love mommy anymore...you love XXXX now." I have first-hand experience trying to answer these questions--my answers satified the innocent angel's curiousity, but in no way got rid of my guilt. It's always the other party's fault, but deep inside we all know where we could have done more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home